Genealogy and Family History ... posted by C.L. Beck
I don't usually post the same entry here and at the LDS Humor Blog, but I found these "genealogy funnies" so enjoyable that I didn't want any of you missing them. The bits and pieces of family history correspondence below just prove that those many individuals researching their ancestors are more humorous than most of us believe. Even though the humor is unintentional.
And to think the skeptics thought searching one's family history would be a dead hobby. (Tee hee! Did you get that pun? Okay ... so I did make it up myself. That makes it all the better, right?)
Funny Correspondence Allegedly Sent to the Family History (Genealogy) Department, Salt Lake City, Utah
1. Our 2nd great-grandfather was found dead crossing the plains in the library.
2. He and his daughter are listed as not being born.
3. I would like to find out if I have any living relatives or dead relatives or ancestors in my family.
4. Will you send me a list of all the Dripps in your library?
5. My Grandfather died at the age of 3.
6. We are sending you 5 children in a separate envelope.
7. Documentation: Family Bible in possession of Aunt Merle until the tornado hit Topeka, Kansas. Now only the Good Lord knows where it is.
8. The wife of #22 could not be found. Somebody suggested that she might have been stillborn--what do you think?
9. I am mailing you my aunt and uncle and 3 of their children.
10. Enclosed please find my Grandmother. I have worked on her for 30 years without success. Now see what you can do!
11. I have a hard time finding myself in London. If I were there I was very small and cannot be found.
12. This family had 7 nephews that I am unable to find. If you know who they are, please add them to the list.
13. We lost our Grandmother, will you please send us a copy?
14. Will you please send me the name of my first wife? I have forgotten her name.
15. A 14-year-old boy wrote: "I do not want you to do my research for me. Will you please send me all of the material on the Welch line, in the U.S., England and Scotland countries? I will do the research."
16. I would like to know how many descendants I really have?
Did you enjoy those? Which did you find to be the funniest? Drop off a comment and let me know—my favorite was #16!
------Genealogy funnies received in an email from one of our Mormon Mishaps and Mischief contributors, C. LaRene Hall. Original author unknown, blog post © C.L. (Cindy) Beck.------