Not to do self-promotion here, but … okay, so maybe just a little self-promotion … my co-author, Nichole Giles, and I have our very first book launch coming up on Wednesday, Dec 9, 6-9p at the Barnes and Noble, in Orem, UT. I’m calm about it. No nerves at all. Just nightmares all night long, and dry heaves during the day.
Recently, several of my author friends have held book launches. That's very exciting, and since I've heard horror stories about book launches gone awry, I’d like to offer my
Even though I’ve never done a launch before, I have a pretty good idea—due to warnings by friends and the nightmares I've been having—what the top ten worst fiascoes would be for me.
1. The bookstore orders my book, but instead receives seventy copies of "Tales of a Stripper."
2. The bookstore parking lot is closed off for resurfacing at one end and to accommodate the new In and Out Burger at the other.
3. Aaackk! I’ve shown up in nothing but my underwear.
4. I made it to the store in one piece, I remembered to bring a tablecloth and I'm signing books ... at a table in the restroom.
5. Aw, drat, I forgot a pen and all that’s on hand is a crayon.
6. Umm, I’m sure I knew it once upon a time, but I have no clue what my name is.
7. Cramp, cramp, I have a cramp in both hands.
8. Gas, gas, I have really bad gas. I should not have eaten that double bean burrito.
9. I’m signing two doors down from Sarah Palin.
10. The power has failed and it won’t be on again until morning.
So, wish me luck, dear friends, and if you get a chance, stop by to say hi on December 9 at the Orem Barnes and Noble. I promise I’ll be wearing something more than just my underwear.
What's playing in my head: The Restroom Door Said Gentleman by The Bob Rivers Comedy Corp.
LAST WEEK'S WINNER : Congrats to CATHY WITBECK on winning the Baskin Robbins gift certificates. Cathy, please contact me no later than midnight on Wednesday, Dec. 9 to claim your prize. Send me an email with your mailing address and phone number at cindybeck(dot)author(at)yahoo(dot)com. Or at any other address you might have for me.
If the prize isn't claimed by Wednesday, a new winner will be drawn.
THIS WEEK'S GIVEAWAY: A 2010 Greg Olsen calendar, autographed in gold ink by the artist himself—with his own hands—while I stood watching nearby.
THE PRODUCT: Greg is a fantastic artist and his paintings are filled with light and warmth. The calendar is beautiful.
MY OPINION: Ooo, somebody tell me again ... why did I ever tell Greg I'd give this calendar away, instead of keeping it for myself?
HOW TO ENTER: Leave a comment on this article. Any comment you want. I'll choose one, for whatever reason as determined by my little pea brain. Or possibly by Corky Porky Pie's little dog brain, which is significantly smaller than a pea.
Deadline to enter is by midnight Friday, December 11.
Winner will be announced no later than Monday, December 14.